What to Expect
Our first session will involve understanding my office policies, addressing any concerns/questions you may have, and gathering relevant background information so that a dialogue can be initiated about the goodness of fit between patient and therapist and the expectations, length, and goals of therapy. If individual therapy is the desired modality, then the initial psychological interview will be between the therapist and the patient, unless it is deemed useful for a significant other or family member to be present to contribute background information. If a child or an adolescent will be the patient, then it is expected that all parents join in the initial session, so that a cohesive story can emerge at the outset of treatment. The initial session is 90 minutes long.
- Should you wish for me to consult other members of your treatment team (psychiatrist, dietitian, cardiologist, prior therapist), I would be happy to do so with a signed release of information. Brief consultations (less than 10 minutes) are included in your fee and will not be charged. However, if extensive consultation is required, then you will be charged a pro-rated amount based on my individual therapy fee.
- What is your theoretical orientation?
- I have been trained in both psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral modes of intervention. I also utilize couples, family, and group-based therapies. How I will work with you, specifically, depends on a number of factors (prior treatment history, diagnosis, length of desired treatment, age, etc). If you have more extensive questions about how I will individualize your treatment and tailor it specifically to you, please address this with me at any time in your therapy.
- What are the risks associated with therapy?
- Psychotherapy can have benefits and risks. Since therapy often involves discussing unpleasant aspects of your life, you may experience uncomfortable feelings like sadness, guilt, anger, frustration, loneliness, and helplessness. On the other hand, psychotherapy has also been shown to have many benefits. Therapy often leads to better relationships, solutions to specific problems, and significant reductions in feelings of distress. But, there are no guarantees of what you will experience.
- How much do you charge?
- $200 for a 90-minute initial evaluation
- $150 for each 50-minute individual therapy sessions
- $50 per group session
- Consultation > 10 minutes will be billed $15 per every 10-minute block of time
- Do you take insurance?
- No, I do not take insurance at this time. However, I will provide you with a monthly billing statement that provides the required documentation if you wish to submit a claim to utilize your out-of-network benefits. Thus, treatment is not part of your permanent medical record unless you choose to notify your insurance carrier.
- When do I pay?
- Payment will be made directly to "Worth Therapy" at the conclusion of your session.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Cash, check, or credit card
- Do you charge for missed sessions?
- I do not charge for missed sessions if you cancel within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment time OR if I am able to fill your appointment space. However, you are charged fully for a missed session if there was not an emergent reason for canceling less than 48 hours ahead of time. I follow the Fort Worth ISD calendar in terms of weather cancellation policies (i.e. if it is icy and FWISD cancels classes, then our session will also be canceled). You will not be charged for sessions canceled due to weather in these circumstances.
- What are your hours?
- I schedule appointments Monday-Friday during regular business hours. School excuses can be provided if a child needs to be taken out of school in order to make an appointment.
- As this is an outpatient practice, I do not provide emergency services. In a crisis situation, please call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room. However, I monitor my phone messages daily and will make every effort to return your call within 24 hours and/or schedule an additional session as soon as is feasible. If I will be unavailable for an extended period of time, then I will provide you with the name of a colleague to contact if necessary.