About Kathryn Sternweis-Yang, PhD, CEDS, CGP
Education and Licensure
- Licensed Psychologist, Texas #33574 (2007)
- Children's Medical Center Dallas (2006-2007), Postdoctoral Fellowship in Pediatric Psychology on the Inpatient Eating Disorders Unit
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2002-2006), PhD in Clinical Psychology
- Tufts University (1998-2002), BS in Psychology and Child Development
- Children's Medical Center of Dallas (2011-2012), Clinical Psychologist on the General Inpatient Psychiatry Unit
- Children's Medical Center of Dallas(2007-2011), Clinical Psychologist for the Intensive Outpatient (IOP) & Outpatient Program
- Children's Medical Center of Dallas(2006-2007), Postdoctoral Fellowship on the Inpatient Eating Disorders Unit
- Southern Methodist University (2005-2006), APA-approved internship in Student Mental Health
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (2003-2006), APA-approved internship on Inpatient & Outpatient Units
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (2003-2006), Moonlighter in Psychiatric Emergency Room
- Southwest Clinic at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2003-2006), Therapist
- Dallas County Juvenile Detention Center (2003-2004), APA-approved practicum in the Psychology Department
- Northgate Clinic Senior in London, UK (2001), Undergraduate Intern
- Terrell State Hospital (2000), Undergraduate Intern
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2008-2012), Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
- Southern Methodist University (2010), Adjunct Assistant Professor II of Psychiatry
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2004-2005), Adult Assessment Instructor in the Department of Rehabilitation Services
- Dissertation: "Medication Adherence in Children and Adolescents with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)" Advisor: Carroll Hughes, PhD
- Nakonezny, PA; Hughes, CW; Mayes, TL; Sternweis-Yang, KH; Kennard, BD; Byerly, MJ, and Emslie, GJ (2010). “A Comparison of Various Methods of Measuring Antidepressant Medication Adherence Among Children and Adolescents with Major Depressive Disorder in a 12-week Open Trial of Fluoxetine.” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 431-439.
- Phillips, R.; Stewart, SM; Setliff, S; Sternweis-Yang, K; Simmons, A; Kennard, B; Liss, D; Presnell, K (2009) “Psychological Variables Impacting Weight Gain Rapidity in Adolescents Hospitalized for Eating Disorders." Poster accepted for presentation at the International Conference for Eating Disorders.
- Sternweis, K.V., Hughes, C.W., Emslie, G., Kennard, B., Carmody, T., Tao, R., Mayes, T., Rintelmann, J., Boalnos, G., & Parker, A. (2006). “Are Physician’s Estimates an Adequate Measure of Adherence in Youth with Depression?” Abstract in the 46th Annual Meeting for the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit Scientific Proceedings.
- Sternweis, K.V., Hughes, C.W., Emslie, G., Kennard, B., Felice, E.; & Bolanos, G. (2005). “Medication Adherence in Children and Adolescents with Major Depressive Disorder.” Abstract in the 52nd Annual Meeting for the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Scientific Proceedings.
Awards, Honors, and Certifications
- Certified Group Psychotherapist by the American Group Psychotherapy Association (CGP) (2017)
- Certified Eating Disorder Specialist by the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (CEDS) (2016)
- Chief Resident of the Clinical Psychology Program at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2005-2006)
- Chief Psychology Intern at Parkland Hospital (2004-2005)
- "Nuts and Bolts of Starting a Private Practice." Part of a panel of psychologists who presented at the UTSW Clinical Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship Didactics; February 2017.
- "Binge Eating Disorder." Presented to staff psychologists at the TCU Counseling Center; February 2017.
- "Eating Disorders." Presented to sorority members at the TCU Chi Omega Chapter Meeting; April 2017.
- "Conversations with Clinicians." Part of a panel who presented to Fort Worth therapeutic professionals about information gleaned at the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals symposium (IAEDP); April 2017.
- "How to Foster Connection and Creativity Within Yourself and Your Patients." Presented at the IAEDP Summer Workshop in Dallas, Texas; August 2017.
- "Supporting Women's Mental Health from Conception to Postpartum." Will present with Anna Brandon, PhD, at the Fort Worth Area Psychological Association Meeting (FWAPA); April 2018.
Membership and Associations
- American Psychological Association
- International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals
- Fort Worth Area Psychological Association